This course covers the basic chemistry needed to understand the “how” and “why” of water treatment: source of water, water quality, dissolved and suspended impurities in water; ions; attraction between anions and cations; hardness; pH and the pH scale; alkalinity; and specific conductance.
At the completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe source water, water quality, and dissolved and suspended impurities in water
- Explain attraction between anions and cations
- Define hardness and its effect on quality
- State how pH and alkalinity affect quality
- Demonstrate this knowledge on a fill-in-the blank final exam
Registration for this course entitles the student to course support from SkillWorks. After passing the final exam the registered student will also receive an official Continuing Education Course Certificate of Completion that will be accepted by the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (Ohio EPA) for operator certification renewal for the licenses listed in the table of course details above.