Chemical reactions and acids and bases; atoms and molecules; elements and compounds; chemical reactions; catalysts; acidity and alkalinity; pH and the pH scale. Some of the chemical symbols introduced are: HCl, H2SO4, NaCl, NaOH, Hg, H2, N2, CO2, and H2O.
At the completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe basic chemical reactions and acids and bases
- List elements and compounds
- Explain the function of catalysts; acidity and alkalinity; pH and the pH scale
- Recognize chemical symbols and use them in problems
- Demonstrate this knowledge on a fill-in-the blank final exam
Registration for this course entitles the student to course support from SkillWorks. After passing the final exam the registered student will also receive an official Continuing Education Course Certificate of Completion that will be accepted by the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (Ohio EPA) for operator certification renewal for the licenses listed in the table of course details above.