This course covers chemical attraction; valance; radicals; synthesis of a compound; decomposition of a compound; relative activity of elements; factors which effect synthesis; action of a catalyst; types of mixtures; solutions and solvents; identification of acids, bases, and salts; and pH scale and measurement of pH.
At the completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe chemical attraction, valence, and radicals
- Describe synthesis of a compound and decomposition of a compound and factor which affect synthesis
- Explain relative activity of elements
- Predict the action of a catalyst, and how solutions and solvents work
- Demonstrate this knowledge on a fill-in-the blank final exam
Registration for this course entitles the student to course support from SkillWorks. After passing the final exam the registered student will also receive an official Continuing Education Course Certificate of Completion that will be accepted by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) and Board of Registration of Operators of Drinking Water Supply Facilities for operator certification renewal for the licenses listed in the table of course details above.