Chemical reactions and acids and bases; atoms and molecules; elements and compounds; chemical reactions; catalysts; acidity and alkalinity; pH and the pH scale. Some of the chemical symbols introduced are: HCl, H2SO4, NaCl, NaOH, Hg, H2, N2, CO2, and H2O.
At the completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe basic chemical reactions and acids and bases
- List elements and compounds
- Explain the function of catalysts; acidity and alkalinity; pH and the pH scale
- Recognize chemical symbols and use them in problems
- Demonstrate this knowledge on a fill-in-the blank final exam