This course covers the basic chemistry needed to understand the “how” and “why” of water treatment: source of water, water quality, dissolved and suspended impurities in water; ions; attraction between anions and cations; hardness; pH and the pH scale; alkalinity; and specific conductance.
At the completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe source water, water quality, and dissolved and suspended impurities in water
- Explain attraction between anions and cations
- Define hardness and its effect on quality
- State how pH and alkalinity affect quality
- Demonstrate this knowledge on a fill-in-the blank final exam